Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome PageStarcom Shadow Parasite Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

Starcom Shadow Parasite

Go down 
+6
driftwood
Tankster
Stronox
thatjimboguy
bigdaddyblue73
Swafus
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Swafus
S12 News Staff
Swafus

Starcom Shadow Parasite Empty
PostSubject: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Vintage Vault Classic Toy Review #2
Starcom Shadow Parasite (1986)

I have long contended that Starcom is the most well designed and under-rated toy line of all time. The line was never given much of a chance in the U.S. but thrived for years in the European market. Everything about it is dripping with awesome sauce and it’s a damn shame that more collector’s aren’t ravenous for them. It is my # 1 pick for retro toylines that are ripe for reproduction. For those of you not familiar with the toys, behold the awesomeness in this product demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pZFa_E6NZI&feature=related

What always impresses me with Starcom is the inter-activity of the line. The small vehicles folding up to be stored or carried by the larger vehicles, the use of magnets to connect figures and vehicles and the self winding gear-activated action features (that never require batteries) are all the marks of a truly visionary and super intelligent toy line. Now that I’m done gushing over how insanely cool the line was as a whole, I can focus on the star of this review: The Shadow Parasite!

Starcom Shadow Parasite Shadowparasite

The Shadow Parasite is the snub fighter of the evil Shadow Force in the world of Starcom. Due to it’s diminutive size, it can only be crewed by one figure unless of course you considered attaching a figure’s magnetic boots to the metal pad on top of the canopy to be pummeled by G-forces .

The Shadow Parasite’s Dorito-shaped design allows it to be magnetically attached on the wing section of the larger Shadow Bat bomber. When in transport or regular flight mode the Shadow Parasite is basically a flying triangle and brandishes no weapons. It’s not until you hit the button that it goes into battle mode extending it’s wings and rear engine and popping out it’s twin set of front laser cannons to wreak havoc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6X_5By1HE&feature=related

The bulk of the Starcom vehicles were the smaller fold-up class and the Parasite was one of the very best in the line. Due to the scarcity of the items domestically, finding one on ebay may be a challenge but a loose piece in good shape can be had for around $25 and it is 100% worth it.

Starcom Shadow Parasite Parasite_cl
Back to top Go down
Swafus
S12 News Staff
Swafus

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Here are a few more pics of a Shadow Parasite from Swaf's personal collection.

[img]Starcom Shadow Parasite Parasi12[/img]

[img]Starcom Shadow Parasite Parasi13[/img]

[img]Starcom Shadow Parasite Parasi14[/img]
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

I remember this line but didn't have any. Of course by 88 I was in high school and not playin with toys much anymore.
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Ya know, I think I have one of these somewhere, only it's missing the canopy. I have no clue where though
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
Stronox
Creative Team
Stronox

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 am

I LOVED StarCOM back in the day...I had two of these things that could attach to a larger ship but can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

StarCOM was awesome...Thanks for bringing that old memory to the surface Swaf!

I just searched...It was called the Shadowbat and two parasites would stow on each of the wings...Wish I still had them...
Back to top Go down
http://stronoxcustoms.blogspot.com
Tankster
Creative Team
Tankster

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 am

oh yah i had these bad boys long lost now but i had a ton of fun with these guys!!
Back to top Go down
driftwood
S12 Captain
driftwood

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 pm

I got 3 or 4 of them guys hanging out on my gun safe . I miss the good old dats of playing on the frige and stove.
Back to top Go down
Wizard
New Recruit
Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 am

StarCom toys rock!!! Starcom Shadow Parasite 584664

I have the Shadowbat and a few others...
Back to top Go down
FireChief420
New Recruit
FireChief420

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 am

I've got a Shadow Invader packed away somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Rob0213
Administrator
Rob0213

Character Profile
Name:: Cinder
Class: Berserker
EXP:: 50,000

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:52 am

Used to have a bunch of these. Now all I have are memories ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesector12.com
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:16 am

Starcom was awesome!!

I still remember the commercials!
My brother and I had a few, but never enough to have a full scale war with.
The use of the magnets was ingenious, not only in the figures feet but in the actions of the vehicles as well. Definitely a very underrated line of toys in my opinion. It was going up against the likes of GI Joe, He-Man, M.A.S.K. and a host of other toys so I think often times it was looked over, but man did they have playability!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starcom Shadow Parasite   Starcom Shadow Parasite Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starcom Shadow Parasite
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to theSector12.com! ::   :: The Vintage Vault-
Jump to: