Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome Pagehelp me I.T. guys... Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

help me I.T. guys...

Go down 
+5
thatjimboguy
Wry1
bigdaddyblue73
Batman
g.i.eddie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
g.i.eddie
Battle Ready
g.i.eddie

help me I.T. guys... Empty
PostSubject: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:16 pm

i need some nerd help...this computer at work i sometimes use to browse has a window time out on it...if i remain inactive for a few minutes (reading something counts as inactive apparently) it automatically closes the window, and any others i have open...is there a setting somewhere i need to adjust and if so, where is it? i'm pretty comp illiterate so if you can, try and spell it out like you're explaining it to an 80 year old man who still has a rotary phone in his house...

thanks in advance fellas...
Back to top Go down
Batman
Batman

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

They may the computer at work setup like that for a purpose. I wouldn't tinker with the company PC but surely they have someone there that can help you. I have never heard of the window timeout except for a screen saver. Maybe it could be a virus. I have no idea and I have a degree in Computer Programming! Just not in anything that has to do with the internet or windows.
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Hit the fuckin thing with hammer!
Back to top Go down
Wry1
Creative Team
Wry1

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:45 pm

^^^Best computer advice ever.
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

I would actually thinking of kicking it instead. You'll get to kick it more times than you would get to whack it with a hammer and you can feel the impact better too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
driftwood
S12 Captain
driftwood

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 pm

help me I.T. guys... 76727
Back to top Go down
g.i.eddie
Battle Ready
g.i.eddie

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:28 pm

dang it you guys!!!...i saw 5 replys and thought, "phew, some insight"...lol...if i had only known...

there are two comps right next to each other set up for employee use for internet use...one has the "time-out function" on it, one does not...so i know it's not a company thing but a setting specific to that comp (at least i hope)...

so if anyone has some USEFULL info :D, please feel free to chime in...

they operate on windows BTW...
Back to top Go down
JJCarlisle
S12 News Staff
JJCarlisle

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Have you tried looking at the power settings......

Click "start"

go to "control panel"

go to "power options"

make sure the turn off monitor feature,the turn off hard disk,system standbye,and system hibernate are all set to "never".

Other than that im comptarded myself.
Back to top Go down
g.i.eddie
Battle Ready
g.i.eddie

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

i'll try those tomorrow...thanks for something *said while glaring at the other "responces"*
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 12:27 pm

try this if possible:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

if you are using internet explorer.
if that is the case then try and download and use Firefox.
That should help solve your problems
and you could always try to do a windows update
Back to top Go down
Eyes-of-a-Snake
Battle Ready
Eyes-of-a-Snake

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 pm

JJCarlisle wrote:
Have you tried looking at the power settings......

Click "start"

go to "control panel"

go to "power options"

make sure the turn off monitor feature,the turn off hard disk,system standbye,and system hibernate are all set to "never".

Other than that im comptarded myself.

What he said, but there's more to it.....

Once in the control panel go to "Display" then "Screen Saver" and then click on the "Power" options tab. THEN set them all to never, or an amount of time that you feel is best. Ive found it is best to "never" everything but the monitor option. I usually keep that one at an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 pm

I dont think his computer is going on standby or anything
i think his IE is shutting down after 5mins on him
I dont think its a power save feature
Back to top Go down
g.i.eddie
Battle Ready
g.i.eddie

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

The BLAY wrote:
I dont think his computer is going on standby or anything
i think his IE is shutting down after 5mins on him
I dont think its a power save feature

right you are...

that link provided some potentially good info...this part...

"Answer
Check your dial-up/LAN settings for close-on-idle times. "

may be it...i'll have to check when i get on that particular comp...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help me I.T. guys...   help me I.T. guys... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help me I.T. guys...
Page 1 of 1