Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome PageThe Thing -2011 Prequel Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thing -2011 Prequel

Go down 
+2
M. Aster Karver
The BLAY
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The BLAY
The BLAY

The Thing -2011 Prequel Empty
PostSubject: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 am

If you haven't already heard, on April 29th 2011 a prequel to John Carpenters "The Thing" will hit theaters, just shy of it's 29th Anniversary.

The film itself is a prequel and will take place just before the events of the original and will, as my sources have told me, crossover into the same timeline as the original. At one point the movies should be running along the same timeline I believe.

The film will focus on the original Norwegian crew that discovered the alien.

Now I have not seen "The Thing" yet, it's one of those movies that has been on my list to pick up and with the prequel due in less than a year I am now a little more motivated to pick it up.

Talking last nite with a friend and his buddy who worked on the film they have told me that it looks amazing and the effects are spectacular! I'm talking physical effects here none of that CG BS.
I've seen explosions and props and believe me when I tell you the creature creators did a fantastic job! Looking at some pictures I couldn't believe that I was looking at a prop and not an actual person. This movie combines physical effects, puppeteers, and good ol fashioned workmanship that has been lost among movie makers for a long time now.

Shooting for the film only ended a few days ago here in Toronto, I think they also shot parts in Northern Ontario and British Columbia as well close to, or at the same spots as the '82 film.
My source said as long as it is cut/edited together right and they don't opt to go over board on the CGI you are gonna be in for a treat. Again from what I've seen the need for CGI is minimal on the alien! I wish I had the pictures to show you but for now you'll have to trust me when I say it looks amazing!
Back to top Go down
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:33 am

Butcher the great name of the original with a prequel? NO!!!!!!!!

Sorry Blay, some movies you just don't touch.
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 am

Time will tell.
It could be a gigantic flop, but from what I've seen it looks cool
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:07 am

Another note as well, while filming this movie they were constantly watching "The Thing"
so they could stay on target and keep focused on making the stories work hand in hand.

I'll be interested to see it when it hits next year.
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

This should be a pretty decent movie. I just have one question. How did they tape this in Cadania without the camera freezing up?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 pm

thatjimboguy wrote:
This should be a pretty decent movie. I just have one question. How did they tape this in Cadania without the camera freezing up?

trade secrets my friend.
just be lucky I know people in the industry and you got what info you did...
I may be hunted down for revealing that info... I need to disappear for a while... starting tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
THE DELTA
S12 News Staff
THE DELTA

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 pm

a prequel would be a good idea.loved both versions of the thing( the 1982 film was a remake of the 1951 filmed called the thing from another world ).better to do a totally different movie instead of a remake of a remake.this is one i plan to see.
Back to top Go down
Sector_15
Heavy Weapons
Sector_15

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

I like the sound of this. The original was really good.
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

delta1025 wrote:
a prequel would be a good idea.loved both versions of the thing( the 1982 film was a remake of the 1951 filmed called the thing from another world ).better to do a totally different movie instead of a remake of a remake.this is one i plan to see.

if you are familiar with the Resident Evil video games I believe the events of RE 2 and 3 actually run concurrently
and I believe thats what will happen here as well. It will start out before the events of the '82 film and then I think, if I was told correctly, it will cross over to be in the same time line. You may also see clips for the old film added in.

I'm excited for this

** Side Note **
If you liked the first Silent Hill movie and have been waiting for the 2nd one it is slated to go into production soon
either in Toronto or Halifax
Back to top Go down
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm

The BLAY wrote:
** Side Note **
If you liked the first Silent Hill movie and have been waiting for the 2nd one it is slated to go into production soon
either in Toronto or Halifax

That I want to see!
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I knew it! I knew it! Aliens come from Canada!
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 pm

not the illegal ones
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:12 pm

No just the kind that kill you and duplicate you!
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 pm

bigdaddyblue73 wrote:
I knew it! I knew it! Aliens come from Canada!

bigdaddyblue73 wrote:
No just the kind that kill you and duplicate you!

Umm..prolly not given the fact that they're wimps and couldn't kill anybody.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I'd rather have The Thing than that nutjob from the Eaton Centre come near me!
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 pm

NightRat wrote:
I'd rather have The Thing than that nutjob from the Eaton Centre come near me!

WHY ARE YOU CLOSED?!
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 pm

"I wanna go shopping!"
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 pm

"TELL US WHY!!"
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 pm

"What gives you the right?"
Back to top Go down
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:25 am

"Am I a spectacle to you? AM I A SPECTACLE TO YOU?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thing -2011 Prequel   The Thing -2011 Prequel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thing -2011 Prequel
Page 1 of 1