Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome PageMicrosoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices

Go down 
+5
red laser
CWO Flint
THE DELTA
Batman
JJCarlisle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
JJCarlisle
S12 News Staff
JJCarlisle

Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Love playing your Xbox 360 games online? Join the crew...and please have your credit card handy, because Microsoft would like to have a word with it.

Specifically, the word "more."
Xbox Live

On Monday, the company announced plans to raise the price of the Xbox Live Gold membership, making it the online network's first fee hike in its eight-year history. Beginning November 1, gamers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the U.K. will have to fork over at least $10 extra per year to enjoy the premium service, which is required for playing games with (or against) pals online.

In the U.S., the annual subscription plan -- once $49.99, soon to be $59.99 -- will remain far and way the most economical. The monthly plan will see a $2 bump ($9.99/month, or $120/year), while the three-month plan will jump $5 ($24.99/month, or $100/year).

Why the sudden hike? To Xbox Live spokesman Major Nelson, someone has to pay for all the stuff they keep adding to the network, right?

"Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same," he said. "We’re confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry."

Well, that's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that Microsoft remains the only one of the big three console makers to charge a fee for online play. While Sony's recently-released "Playstation Plus" upgrade gives gamers access to premium content, playing games online is still entirely free for all users. And though the Wii has lagged behind in the online gaming field, the relatively few games that support online play don't cost players extra.

But with blockbuster multiplayer games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 selling like hotcakes on the 360, Microsoft hasn't had a hard time convincing users to pay up. According to Bloomberg, a good 25 million Xbox 360 owners went Gold in the last fiscal year, netting the company about $600 million in fees alone and accounting for roughly half of Microsoft's estimated $1.2 billion in revenue via the online service. With the Xbox 360 topping charts in July and surefire seller Halo: Reach arriving September 14th, the company might need to buy a bigger wallet.

It's not all doom and gloom for 360 gamers, however. In a half-hearted attempt to make amends for the rate increase, Microsoft is letting current U.S. Xbox Live Gold members lock in one more year of membership for $39.99, a $20 premium over the coming price. Not bad, but an even thriftier move is to snap up a few discounted pre-paid cards at online retailers like Amazon. Redeem one now, then save one for next year to renew at the discounted price again. Sneaky...and sure to vanish quickly, so hop to it.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Batman

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Well that's why I say I LOVE MY PS3!!!! It's free to play on the net!! Bill Gates is still trying to rob you all of your money and dignity. Ya'll just keep shoveling him that money!!
Back to top Go down
THE DELTA
S12 News Staff
THE DELTA

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:23 pm

now people know why i have a PS3.have to agree with bats about bill gates wanting your hard earned cash.my only gripe about the PS3 is not enough games i want to play and damn xbox looks like they have a lot more cool games exclusive to their system.
Back to top Go down
JJCarlisle
S12 News Staff
JJCarlisle

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:26 pm

I have a xbox but i hardly play it and for sure wouldnt pay to play online.Hell I dont really play online much with my ps3 but I love the fact when I do...its free.
Back to top Go down
CWO Flint
S12 Captain
CWO Flint

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah that's bogus. I don't go online with my 360 because of this. And there used to be limited free stuff you could do online, but that seems to be gone too now.
Back to top Go down
http://warofthewords.forumcanadien.org/forum.htm
red laser
Monster Slayer
red laser

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 am

I pay about £4 for 3 months for Gold Membership so how much will that be in November?
Back to top Go down
https://s236.photobucket.com/home/openand/index
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 pm

I only have a silver membership on the 360. I don't do online play.
Could be worse though, they could realize some people view it as an "essential service" and Xbox could have easily charged an extra $20 for the year and people would still pay it.
Back to top Go down
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 pm

I know its pricey, but I finally have Hydro Thunder on a gaming system, so for that and one or 2 others...I'll renew at the 39.99 for one year. PS3 may have more details and crisper looking avatars, but the ability to download more titles rules on xbox.
Back to top Go down
CWO Flint
S12 Captain
CWO Flint

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 pm

M. Aster Karver wrote:
I know its pricey, but I finally have Hydro Thunder on a gaming system, so for that and one or 2 others...I'll renew at the 39.99 for one year. PS3 may have more details and crisper looking avatars, but the ability to download more titles rules on xbox.

Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices 316168 Don't pay can't you see that's what they want.... lol!

then it'll be more

and more

and more

then more

then a house, car and Kydney to play on-line...and people will pay.
Back to top Go down
http://warofthewords.forumcanadien.org/forum.htm
red laser
Monster Slayer
red laser

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:16 pm

I will be paying £5.99 now so not much of a price increase.
Back to top Go down
https://s236.photobucket.com/home/openand/index
Joerhyno
New Recruit
Joerhyno

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Last year and early this year, they had promotions to add a month for $1... that helped me out, and also the free month I got from sending my box in to get fixed.. and the year membership I got for Xmas last year.

It is sad that the price is going up, but what they say is true, they haven't raised the price since it was released, so I guess that's a good thing. Lets just hope it's not like the stamp and it becomes a yearly thing.
Back to top Go down
JJCarlisle
S12 News Staff
JJCarlisle

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I dont see it being a problem until they do it again.Then I can see people getting upset.
Back to top Go down
M. Aster Karver
S12 Captain

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:15 pm

I did the 39.99/year, so it saves money over time. Besides, online playing is too fun...especially now that I am home a lot more, not by choice.
Back to top Go down
nort
New Recruit
nort

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Joerhyno wrote:
Last year and early this year, they had promotions to add a month for $1... that helped me out, and also the free month I got from sending my box in to get fixed.. and the year membership I got for Xmas last year.

It is sad that the price is going up, but what they say is true, they haven't raised the price since it was released, so I guess that's a good thing. Lets just hope it's not like the stamp and it becomes a yearly thing.

yeah I got that too and somehow that is all I am being charged is a dollar a month atm ever since they offered that promotion. to me the price increase is still not that bad since I also play DAOC (3 accounts) and that is still more. lol I haven't even played my 360 in a month or so but I like having the conveinance of getting on, watching netflix or playing online if I want but that is just me. If I wasn't getting a check every month for my shoulder from the military then I wouldn't even prob be playing online games so there is that too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices   Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft raising Xbox Live membership prices
Page 1 of 1