Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome PageJonah Hex Movie Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

Jonah Hex Movie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieRob
Battle Ready
ZombieRob

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:03 am

Just got back from seeing Jonah hex and.....

Well let me start by saying that I love Jonah hex: the character, the comics, everything. He's always been one of my favorite D.C. characters. I loved his appearances in batman:animated series and JLU. I'm very excited about the animated short attatched to the Batman Under the Red Hood dvd. I'm a big fan of the Clint Eastwood/ Sergio Leone feel to the comics. Its a comic thats run the gamot from straight up western tales all the way to the futuristic "Hex" series, which had a very "Mad Max" feel to it. Jonah's been a time traveler; he's fought zombies and encountered many D.C. characters out of their timeline. I have to say despite the wide range of genres written into the Hex folklore it's the realistic western tale that showcases Hex at his best- the stories that stear away from the Unnatural and even supernatural elements. That being said there's not alot of that showased in the Jonah Hex film. It's a very mixed pot if you will. It has Supernatural elements as well as "ahead of it's time" tech that will surely draw comparisons to the awful Wild Wild West Film. There's alot of jumbled loose ends throughout the film and alot of out of place moments never quite explained for example:
***Spoiler***
A random "snakeman" creature in a arena fight, mysterious orbs that fuel a doomsday weapon (designed by the creator of the cotton gin..not kidding) and the whole talking to the dead thing.
***(End of spoiler)***

Overall a very short film that does in fact seem mushed together and missing key explainations. Its as if there were multiple scripts that were cut and pasted into one film, leaving out some of the character building and backstory. John Malkovich seems to sleep walk through his role, and there are several other critiques I could go into. Many will hate this film but I want to go into what I liked. Overall, it was an entertaining film. Josh Brolin was not just a perfect Jonah Hex- he was Jonah Hex. As a Hex fan I could not have dreamed of a better portrayal of the character. Megan Fox wasn't nearly as annoying as one would think watching the trailer and at times she was even fun to watch. Michael Fassbender was a quility villain. For what Malkovich lacked in menace and charisma, Fassbender made up for and then some. There's a pretty cool Comic Art intro to the film and the Hex back story flashbacks are handled ok. The supernatural elements are pretty slick despite perhaps feeling out of place with the main story. There are some surprising cameos and even though the film has quick one liners, it doesn't feel over cheasy or campy. For Hex comic fans, especially the Palmiotti and Gray run, theres a good character reveal late in the film. As for me, I enjoyed the film. Brolin stole the show and carried the film on his shoulders. I'm happy enough just to have a live action Hex film. Epecially one where Hex himself is played so well by an accomplished actor. There are endless flaws and most will bash it but if you like Jonah Hex and are open to a fun action flick, you may enjoy this film as well. Take it for what it is, otherwise you will be let down. If that is the case, then you are better off watching "The Outlaw Josey Whales" and exepting that as the closest Hex movie you'll ever get. I'm glad that I saw it and I will get it on dvd when it is released. At the very least, its not as bad as the likes of Ghost Rider, Elektra, Spiderman 3 etc.[center]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 6:25 am

I saw it too.

I was never a big Jonah HEx fan, didn't read the comic that often, I just thought the movie looked good.

You summed it up pretty well. It was a decent popcorn flick.
Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 am

I didn't even know Jonah Hex was a comic book so I had no idea where this movie came from.
I'll prolly wait til its on DVD to watch it, if at all. For the most part this is the only review Ive heard/read that gives it a decent review, anyone else I know that has seen it has just trashed it.
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 am

I might rent this...but I gotta admit that I'm not as excited to see it as I have been to see some other movies lately. Then again, I've never been a Jonah Hex fan.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
ZombieRob
Battle Ready
ZombieRob

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:00 am

The BLAY wrote:
I didn't even know Jonah Hex was a comic book so I had no idea where this movie came from.

The new run by Jimmy Palmiotti and Gray is awesome. The first TPB (Face Full of Violence) is only like $12. Absolutely worth a read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jonah Hex Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonah Hex Movie   Jonah Hex Movie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jonah Hex Movie
Page 1 of 1