Welcome to theSector12.com!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome PageFirst Official Hero and Zero Rule10Latest imagesRegisterLog in

First Official Hero and Zero

Go down 
+5
thatjimboguy
JJCarlisle
bigdaddyblue73
The BLAY
Iron Will
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron Will
S12 News Staff
Iron Will

First Official Hero and Zero Empty
PostSubject: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Hero: Green Arrow#1. Now this is a hard sell for me because of a couple things. I always saw Ollie as a 2nd rate Batman copy and Batman was for the longest time my favorite comic character. Now I always have a problem with non-powered heroes dodging heavy gunfire. Batman I could deal with because his training runs into the near suspended belief of the mystical martial arts such as the ninja combined with the armor protection of his suit, but Ollie was an archer with some martial arts backround and therefore a bullet magnet. Like Batman he didn't kill and this is why Batman finally fell from my number one spot. If you have an enemy like the Joker, at some point he has to be put down. I mean his body count is somewhere in the tens of thousands. Plus I was happy with his death and replacement by his son Connor Hawke. That being said Ollie has finally come into his own. He operates out of the mystery forest within Star City that came into being as a result of Brightest Day which was a cool setting addition. Ollie is now very much like the Robin Hood he fashioned himself after. The forest is his base of operations. SPOILER - If you haven't read Cry for Justice he killed Prometheus. - END SPOILER In todays' world you are going to have heroes that put down the worst of the worst and you need them to play out against other heroes who have different values and codes. But I am rambling. Read this book. Great starting point. Great cover. Great art. Great story. Great potential!

[img]First Official Hero and Zero Green-arrow-brightest-day-comic-1[/img]

Now I am probably going to take a beating on this one but here it is:

Zero: Transformers: War for Cybertron. Now I bought this game for the 360 because of all the great reviews I read and don't get me wrong the game has some cool points and is worth renting, but I am trying to save you from buying it. No spoilers here. I have been a huge console gamer, but I also played City of Heroes/Villians and Champions heavily. That being said when I buy a game and put it in for the first time, I expect it to be hard to turn off. After about an hour of this one I had no problem going about other activities. The cut scenes are awesome, the robot designs are great and Peter Cullen does the voice of Optimus which is awesome, but the game gets boring fast and the vehicle modes handle poorly. Rent it most definitely but do not buy. Also after being able to build heroes and villians with almost endless options I have a hard time with games that give you cookie cutter choices when designing your own character which you can do in multiplayer mode.

[img]First Official Hero and Zero Decepticon-Insignia[/img]

Back to top Go down
The BLAY
The BLAY

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

awesome stuff man.
that pic of Green Arrow is awesome! I like the cowl over his head much more than the robin hood hat.

also good to know on the TF: WFC
It does look cool but i made the mistake of buying the first TF: movie game and i hated it
Back to top Go down
bigdaddyblue73
S12 Captain
bigdaddyblue73

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:55 pm

The new Green Arrow series is on the top of my comics list of things I want to check out. And i am intrigued by the whole "sherwood forest" setting.
Back to top Go down
JJCarlisle
S12 News Staff
JJCarlisle

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info on TF WFC.I was on the fence about getting this but after your review I will prolly wait till it goes down in price.

Awesome review
Back to top Go down
thatjimboguy
S12 Captain
thatjimboguy

Character Profile
Name::
Class:
EXP:: 0

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

I gotta get to the comic shop tomorrow to get my Green Arrow for this month. I never was a fan of ol' Ollie, but I think I might become one now. This is looking interesting
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thatjimboguy
Rob0213
Administrator
Rob0213

Character Profile
Name:: Cinder
Class: Berserker
EXP:: 50,000

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 am

Awesome stuff. Have to check the GA. Good to know about the TF game. Was gonna rent it anyways. It looks to have a ton of potential, too bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesector12.com
ZombieRob
Battle Ready
ZombieRob

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Just finished my Green Arrow #1 and......LOVED IT!!! Now for starters, I differ in that I've always been a HUGE Ollie fan. He is a batman-esque character, but he's always had a tad more humanity too him. He's a loyal friend to Hal Jordan and he's a very flawed human. He's made many mistakes and infidelities over the years and I think it adds to his character. He has failed as a mentor, husband and father; all of which truly haunt him. He does alot of good as the emerald archer and alot of damage as Olliver Queen. The problem is that he's not written well consistantly. The old Green Lantern and Green Arrow title was excellent. As much as I hate him, Kevin Smith did good on the character back with "Quiver", but time after time the quality of writing fails after a few good arcs. That being said, the new direction is perfect. I've been a fan of JT Krul for a while now and I'm very excited about what hes doing with the title. The one good thing that came out of Cry For Justice was the path it set Ollie and his supporting characters on:vengeance, true justice, and exile. The art is fantastic and the covers are even better. I love the tweaked costume and new attitude. I loved it all!

As for the "Transformers: War for Cybertron" game I have to say I really thought, despite great reviews on Ign and various game sites, that somehow it wouldn't actually cut the mustard. Its so hard to make a game that excels in a 3rd person adventure format as well as a driving/ flying vehicle format. One form has to suffer. I think it looks too good to be true. I'm glad that I didn't run out and buy it. I was very close to getting it after reading Ign's 9.0 rating. Thanks for the heads up and great job on this column.
Back to top Go down
Rob0213
Administrator
Rob0213

Character Profile
Name:: Cinder
Class: Berserker
EXP:: 50,000

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 am

Okay, Will, I just picked up Green Arrow #1 strictly based on your reveiw.....

....And I liked it a lot. I've always been a fan of Ollie, and I am still unsure of the 'magic forest' setting, but this looks to be promising, and I plan on giving it at least 12 issues. Great review, and spot on!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesector12.com
Iron Will
S12 News Staff
Iron Will

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Rob0213 wrote:
Okay, Will, I just picked up Green Arrow #1 strictly based on your reveiw.....

....And I liked it a lot. I've always been a fan of Ollie, and I am still unsure of the 'magic forest' setting, but this looks to be promising, and I plan on giving it at least 12 issues. Great review, and spot on!

Cool. I like the addition of the forest to the DCU and it works well as a base of operations for GA. What I am really hoping is that DC uses this as the return point for Swamp Thing which is rumored to make a return to DC hero continuity some time soon!!
Back to top Go down
red laser
Monster Slayer
red laser

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Love the review on GA#1 but bad timing on the WFC review I just got it today but haven't yet played it.
Back to top Go down
https://s236.photobucket.com/home/openand/index
Iron Will
S12 News Staff
Iron Will

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:23 pm

red laser wrote:
Love the review on GA#1 but bad timing on the WFC review I just got it today but haven't yet played it.

Let me know what you think because all the big reviewers gave it good ratings, but it just didn't cut it for me.
Back to top Go down
red laser
Monster Slayer
red laser

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 am

The platform parts were annoying and so was running out of ammo too soon. I liked that you get the choice to play Megatron straight away so I chose him but was disappointed he doesn't transform into a gun. Otherwise the game is very good with stunning scenery and graphics.
Back to top Go down
Stronox
Creative Team
Stronox

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:27 am

Have to totally disagree with you on the TF's game on this one. Yeah it isn't perfect but there are so many good things about it...Escalation mode, great story line with lots of nice surprises and boss battles, and lots of multi player options and games. Ah well, to each their own...

Red Laser, I agree about the ammo shortage especially during the Autobot Story, but I am glad Megs doesn't turn into a gun...I never understood why he had too considering he had a honking huge gun on his arm. For that matter why does he turn into a tank...I will ponder this for all eternity...

As for Green Arrow...Well I don't do comics much anymore so I will agree with ya on that one.
Back to top Go down
http://stronoxcustoms.blogspot.com
red laser
Monster Slayer
red laser

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 am

I think they wanted Megatron to stand out from other Decepticons and be more brutal so they thought a gun would make a good form. But for his tank mode that came too late we already had Quake and Bludgeon for that.
Back to top Go down
Iron Will
S12 News Staff
Iron Will

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Stronox wrote:
Have to totally disagree with you on the TF's game on this one. Yeah it isn't perfect but there are so many good things about it...Escalation mode, great story line with lots of nice surprises and boss battles, and lots of multi player options and games. Ah well, to each their own...

Red Laser, I agree about the ammo shortage especially during the Autobot Story, but I am glad Megs doesn't turn into a gun...I never understood why he had too considering he had a honking huge gun on his arm. For that matter why does he turn into a tank...I will ponder this for all eternity...

As for Green Arrow...Well I don't do comics much anymore so I will agree with ya on that one.

Cool ty for the feedback and glad you were happy with it. I agree with you on a lot of the points like I stated, but at this point in the video game arena, for me the playability was very lacking. Graphics, story and Peter Cullen rocked but that is what toons and movies are for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Official Hero and Zero   First Official Hero and Zero Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Official Hero and Zero
Page 1 of 1